Our Task Was
Essentially our task was to coach JC Metalworks through the entire awards process, understanding that this was entirely new territory for them and supporting them as required whilst they carried on running a rapidly growing manufacturing business
We walked JC Metalworks through the complete awards process from what they could expect and the opportunities available to them, through to completing the award nomination forms and assisting with judges visits and / or being interviewed by a judging panel.
Reviewing outcomes is an integral part of our work with JC Metalworks – what went well and where can we improve are two questions that we ask ourselves at the end of each award process and it’s really helping us to move from finalists to winners!
Wow! What a year for JC Metalworks. Having never entered an award in their 30+ year plus history, JC Metalworks are now;
- The Leicester Mercury Business Awards; Manufacturer of the Year – Winners
- The Leicester Mercury Business Awards; Apprentice Employer of the Year – Shortlisted to Judges Visit
- Made in the Midlands – East Midlands; Sustainability Award – Finalists
- Made in the Midlands – East Midlands; Manufacturing Apprenticeship / Training Scheme – Highly Commended
- Made in the Midlands – East Midlands; Manufacturer of the Year – Finalist
- Made in the Midlands – East Midlands; Digital Engineering / Technology Award – Finalists
- Institute of Directors – East Midlands; Director of the Year – Highly Commended
It’s important to emphasise that JC Metalworks like to enter big, highly competitive awards and categories. We have several more in the pipeline and we know that, with the great story this company has to tell, it will only be a matter of time before they are adding to their award tally!
Nick Oakland, Managing Director of JC Metalworks says, “We enter because we think we can win of course, but the lift in morale across our workforce when we make it to the finals let alone when we are Highly Commended or win is incredible. It has put what we do, how we do it and why we do it under the microscope. As a Board and as a company we have really thought about what we’re writing and what we’re saying. Where can we make further improvements? What are others doing?
“As a direct result of winning the Leicester Mercury Business Award we have had our factory visited by some of Leicestershire’s top businesses and we have, in return, visited them. That, in itself, is priceless. We have been able to see how other manufacturers operate and consider what learnings we can transfer to our own business.
“JC Metalworks is an incredibly ambitious business with a strong set of family values at its heart. If we can share some of our successes, learn from others and raise our profile in the meantime then that’s a ’yes’ from us!”